Nike Missile Norfolk Defense Area Virginia
Site designations and locations of Nike missile batteries built in the mid-1950s
defending the tidewater region are:
(N-02) Fox Hill
(N-63/later N-69) Nansemond/Suffolk
(N-20) Ocean View (temporary site)
(N-25/later N-29) Fort Story
(N-85/later N-97) Denbigh/Patrick Henry
(N-36/later N-49) Kempsville
(N-93/later N-99) Hampton/Spiegelville
(N-52/later N-59) Deep Creek/Portsmouth
Headquarters facilities were located at Fort Monroe, Ballantine School in Norfolk, ReedsvilleSouth Norfolk, Graddock Branch/Portsmouth, and Newport News.
The world's largest naval complex received an extensive air defense network. Sites N-25, N-52, and N-85 were modernized to fire the Nike Hercules missile. Site N-63 held the distinction of being the last to operate Nike Ajax, being deactivated in November 1964. Command and control was operated from a "BIRDIE" site located at the Hampton Roads Army Terminal.
Both Regular Army and Virginia Army National Guard Units contributed to the manning of the sites. In 1958, men of the 4th Missile Battalion, 51st Artillery formed an integrated choral group that performed at local hospitals and other venues over the next few years.
Sites at (N-52) Deep Creek/Portsmouth and (N-85) Denbigh/Patrick Henry remained active until April 1974.